You will need:
- Any vegetables, fresh/frozen/canned;
- Pasta/rice/potatoes/lentils or any grain or pulse
- For a simple empty cupboard sauce you can use a tin of soup, most varieties of soup will work.
- You can use a pre made pasta sauce and can bulk it out with stock or water or even milk/cream if its a cream based sauce.
- You can also make your own sauce if you have some fresh or chopped tomatoes (see pasta sauce recipe for ingredients and instructions)
- If you have an onion and some garlic chop them up finely and fry on a low heat. If you don’t have any oil or butter you can just use water to stop the onion and garlic from sticking to the pan.
- Add some salt, pepper and herbs if you have them. The herbs you use depend on the sauce you choose to use.
- Once your onion and garlic has been slowly frying for a few minutes add in your other vegetables and allow them to fry for a few minutes to take on the flavour of the onions and herbs.
- Then add your sauce.
- You can either cook this to reduce the liquid and eat it as it is. You could add a fried egg to the top, serve with salad or you can add your vegetable medley to pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes, etc.