Fare Divide have already opened the first Community Fridge in West Sussex this year. For our second project we want to open one in Horsham. Please donate anything you can to help us get this project up and running as quickly as possible.
Money will be spent on a Fridge/ Freezer, ambient storage area facilities, insurance for volunteers and other items to allow us to be a compliant and professional registered Food Business.
What we’ll deliver:
- Save 1 tonne a month of good quality food from going to landfill
- Create a welcoming area for the fridge and ambient goods in a public space
Why it’s a great idea:
- This will save perfectly good food going to waste. It will make food available to ANYONE who wants to come and take items for their own use. It encourages sharing and helps the environment!
Steps to get it done:
- To source a suitable location for the Horsham Community Fridge
- Apply to Horsham District Council to register as a food business (8 weeks)
- Secure Public Liability Insurance in host location
- Purchase fridge and secure in host location
- Measure up and purhase shelving for ambient goods
- Secure Food donations (Fareshare/ Neighbourly/ local businesses)
- Sign-up Volunteers & Fridge Co-ordinator
- Purchase incidentals for fridge such as cleaning kit/ thermometer donation unit etc.
- Complete HACCP & Risk assessment for fridge
- Train Volunteers/ Induction to host location
- Communications around fridge put up & Decorate
- Launch Horsham Community Fridge